Summary T1 2006
Problems or solutions?
The scenario - a familiar situation?
You are newly appointed to the school and have a senior position
There has been a significant incident …bringing Joshua to your attention
As the responsible staff member at this time you need to resolve situation !!
- But what is appropriate?
- And how will you know?
About Joshua - what might you need to know?
List some the things that may prove helpful in dealing with the situation and
supporting Jason in the process:
Some of the more unusual questions you might need to answer include
- Should Joshua have been at school today? (He might have been suspended! Or
should he have been elsewhere, such as at 'Spanners')
- Should Joshua have taken any medication (and if so, did he)?
- When was the last time Joshua had a meal?
- Is it Ok to contact either of his parents?
- Did attending the class where the problem occurred breach any agreement
that Joshua had made?
- Was this an isolated incident of part of a well-established pattern?
- Consider the above scenario (adapt if you need to make it more realistic)
- Brainstorm answers to the above questions
- Check your answers against the scenario
- Review the capacity of your school to provide quality information in
relation to the above
- What opportunities exist for making improvements?
- To what extent might the Support Planner play a role in achieving these
- The next step?
Find out what happened next and how the School provided some support